The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Lionel Messi: Ballon d’Or In 2024?

If the Nobel Prize had a category for soccer, it would definitely be the Ballon d’Or.

Since 1956, France Football magazine has annually honored the top player in the field. This October, Lionel Messi won it…for the 8th time.

Messi was named as Top Male Player by leading Argentina to the World Cup title in Qatar last December. The ceremony, however, just took place this year, on Oct. 30. Some claim that Manchester City’s striker Erling Haaland, who also plays for Norway, was robbed of the award, noting that he was the season’s top scorer. These same critics are confident that Haaland will take the award next year, despite the unlikelihood of Norway making it to the World Cup or Haaland making it to the next game after suffering an injury Sunday against Bournemouth.

For Messi, each Ballon d’Or awarded is affirmation of his long hard-fought career, which began with a 21-year relationship with FC Barcelona and earned him 672 goals. In 2021, Messi to joined Paris Saint-Germain and won the French Super Cup. Only two years later, he signed with Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami. While with Miami, Messi won the 2023 League Cup. “I am lucky to have been at this ceremony for many years,” Messi confides at his acceptance speech, “and as the players keep changing and evolving, the level never drops, so we are going to continue enjoying it for many years.”

To his credit, Messi humbly shares a tribute to those who helped him achieve his goals. “I obviously share this with my teammates from the Argentina National Team—we are here representing everything that’s been achieved, thanks to them.” Continuing, he adds, “I don’t want to forget to mention Erling [Haaland] and Kylian [Mbappe]; they had an incredible year, both individually and collectively. It was spectacular to watch them achieve everything they did, and I have no doubt that in the coming years they are going to win this prize.”

However, no one should count Lionel Messi out for Ballon d’Or in 2024.  “As long as I can continue competing,” he concludes in his acceptance speech, “I’m going to continue doing it. I can’t say a number because I don’t know what can happen tomorrow. I hope it’s a long time. It’s what I know how to do. I hope it continues to last.”