The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

“Kool-Aid Challenge” or “Breaking-And-Entering”?

Hey, Kool-Aid!

One of the most well-known food mascots ever is the Kool-Aid Man. Since 1954, this enormous fruit punch and ice-filled pitcher has served as the Kool-Aid brand’s marketing icon. But, the ad that popularized him  indelibly was a 1974 advertisement where the Kool-Aid man himself broke down a wall and uttered the words “Oh, yeah!” Ever since then, he has become a mainstay for the company.

Now, in the modern age, the Kool-Aid Man has come back in a strange way, through TikTok. In a new challenge dubbed the “Kool-Aid Man Challenge,” people film themselves breaking through fences while screaming the titular catchphrase, “Oh, Yeah!” There have been numerous reports of this across the nation–and even in this very State of Indiana–of people’s fences getting broken and run through. It’s not known who started it, but the trend has been going on throughout the 2020s. Even some of Elkhart High’s own students have participated in this challenge. 

“I know I’ve never done it!” exclaims Senior Lilly Ganczak. “Maybe I will someday,” she adds teasingly. This was the sentiment held by most of the students and teachers polled. While not many here seem to have heard of the Kool-Aid Man Challenge, it’s a part of a bigger “challenge” movement that’s been on the internet for ages at this point.

Internet challenges on TikTok and YouTube have existed for as long as the platforms have, and the Kool-Aid Man is just another trendy challenge that will be forgotten in due time. Internet challenges like this that break the law or put people in danger will always exist on the internet–such as the cinnamon challenge or the Tide Pod challenge. Who knows what ridiculous stunt these platforms will come up with next. But, until then, think twice before running into a neighbor’s fence. It’s called breaking-and-entering.

View Comments (2)