The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Reflecting Back To How Spain Did The Impossible

Looking back at the Women’s World Cup, soccer fans can now understand how Spain ended up doing the impossible: beating England 1-0. 

Spain had a tough hill to climb in the bracket to even face European Champion England and fight for a spot in the finale. If one looks at the past times Spain has taken the World Cup, he would be looking back at nothing. In fact, it’s been 16 years since any European nation has taken the title.  For Spain, it is an all-time first.

How to explain this win.

It boiled down to a matter of strategy. As a goalkeeper himself, Sophomore Leonardo Garcia shares his thoughts on Spain’s starting lineup decision. “Spain’s lineup was great!” he asserts. “The formation of 4-3-3 is always great to start with when others are just starting to learn how to play the opposing team.” England’s strategy, on the other hand, wasn’t as tactical. “A 4-3-1-2 isn’t the best formation with a starting lineup” Garcia explains, “especially knowing for a final that there is only one chance and also a need to go safe.”

Keeping up with England’s formation and runs.

However, a starting lineup is only part of what Garcia believes helped Spain. The game still belongs to the team with the most goals. “Spain’s goal was more [England’s] defense and goalkeeper’s fault, continuing with the right center-back backing up the outside right defender and goalkeeper could’ve been faster,” Garcia states, breaking down the decisive play. “And,” he continues,  “talking with her defenders and shape since she can see full field–that all comes along with the defensive shape, as well.” Ultimately, it’s finding the opportunity and taking it. “Spain’s goal was very well placed!”

Having confidence in the calls.

Jennifer Hermoso took the penalty kick for Spain–but missed–with England’s goalkeeper Mary Earps saving the penalty kick. “I see that Hermoso took the penalty kick way too soft,” Garcia says, critiquing the move. “It seemed more like a pass than a penalty kick and could have been more smooth.” Moreover, Garcia believes that Earps just didn’t keep her eye on her opponent. “As a goalkeeper myself, it seems very easy to guess by the way Hermoso kept glancing towards where she was heading with the penalty kick.”

However, not everyone agrees that the kick was even valid, stating that England’s goalkeeper stood off the line before Hermoso took the shot. “As I am looking forward to Spain’s penalty kick clip, the goalkeeper still had her back foot on the line while Hermoso took the penalty kick. For this reason,” Garcia concludes, “it’s a valid penalty kick.”

At the end of the day, though, it was Olga Carmona who scored the only goal for Spain by entering the penalty kick box area and driving in the goal in the 29th minute. Spain did the impossible–beating the European Champs to take home the Women’s Cup.