The Student News Site of Elkhart High School

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

The PENNANT Online

Will This Generation Head To The Polls?

All indicators suggest that America’s youngest voters are eager to make their opinions known.

Many high school seniors will be eligible to vote in the upcoming 2024 presidential election, but this doesn’t guarantee that they will.

Voting is a way for citizens to choose their government leaders and be able to voice their opinions. This is especially critical in the present time, where social media helps the spread of political controversy. It is relatively easy to find information on just about any political issue– ranging from taxation and healthcare to immigration policies. If students truly feel strongly about a topic, they will get the opportunity to vote for leaders who represent their values and beliefs. The collectiveness of young people choosing to vote can lay the foundation for real change in the United States government.

High school seniors are growing as individual thinkers and eager to step into adulthood. One of the many responsibilities to take on is voting. However, there aren’t many political campaigns that strictly target youth voters. Therefore, it is crucial that this generation take the initiative to inform themselves. The use of unbiased social media makes this process significantly easier for everyone. Elkhart High School senior Silas Hunt says, “I use social media–mainly Apple News and radio stations–to stay up-to-date with politics.” Hunt is among the growing trend in youth electoral participation. In the 2020 presidential election, for example, nearly 50% of youth voters participated; that is an 11-point increase from the 2016 election. That number is expected to continue growing moving forward. 

Voting may be intimidating for first-time voters. Elkhart High School history teacher Brandon Miller advises this: “Understand the importance of issues and vote for a candidate that supports those issues and that holds your values.” It is easy for students to feel overwhelmed or even lost not knowing which causes to support. Parents can have a great influence on this, helping their children sort through the facts. “My parents lean one way politically, and I agree with them,” shares Hunt. It is important for them to mobilize their children to actively participate in the U.S. democracy. 

For seniors, graduation marks the start of new doors opening. Walking through the poll doors will be one of them. Voting is a right of passage that should never be overlooked. Choosing to vote–or not vote–will impact the direction the United States takes for years to come. Or, as Abraham Lincoln put it, “Elections belong to the people. It’s their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”