High School: Where The Days Are Longer And The Nights Are Shorter

Alayna Robertson, Staff Writer

At Elkhart High School, classes start at 8:35 a.m. and end at 3:45 p.m. This gives students plenty of time to interact with their peers and learn new things–but it the same be accomplished in less time? 

Although she loves her job, EHS Spanish teacher Pamela Duff claims that this is the longest school day she’s ever had. “I’ve worked in three other states and two other countries,” states Mrs. Duff. “These school days are definitely the longest that I have worked.” Duff feels that the school hours are extremely long for students, staff, and administrators alike, and that even a hour less of school would make a world of difference. “I think that the 8:35 a.m start time is great for students, actually; but, I think that everybody would benefit from getting out of school closer to 3:00 p.m,” remarks Duff. 

Adjusting Elkhart High School’s class hours seems to be an opinion that Duff and junior Natalie Wheeler have something in common. However, while Duff thinks that the school day should end around 3:00 p.m, Wheeler takes it much further. She believes that the day should start much later and end much earlier. “I feel like 9:00 a.m is the perfect time to start school and 2:30 p.m is the perfect time to end,” expresses Wheeler. Wheeler also claims that this change in school times could potentially stop students from falling asleep in class and allow them to get more school work turned in. “I have a job, and sometimes it’s hard to balance school and even sleep on top of that,” voices Wheeler. “And, I know that it’s like that for a lot of other students here!” 

Modifying the school hours here at Elkhart High School could perhaps benefit students and teachers in multiple ways. More work may get done–even with shorter school days–and there could even be better moods in the classroom! What truly is the perfect time for success? Time will tell.