Argentina Had Three Goals: Win. Win. Win.

Emily Martinez-Esqueda, Staff Writer

GOAAAALLAZOO:  From Nov. 20 to Dec. 18, the best of the best competed for a chance to win the World Cup in soccer.  In the end, it was Argentina over France, 3-0.

For soccer fans, Qatar 2022 was the “Super Bowl” of events–filled with both excitement and stress. As teams were eliminated, some fans  witnessed the defeat of their childhood heroes. Yet, new stars emerged on the field, as well. It’s been a crazy ride, that’s for sure. Walking in the halls at Elkhart High School, one could hear students cheering and booing from their classrooms–evidently more engaged in the World Cup than World History! Even the lunchroom was in an uproar as one table or another reacted to plays. There was no denying which team each was rooting for! Rames Jasso, a sophomore, admits, “ I wanted Mexico to win…and they should have been the winners!” Putting his hand close to his heart, he adds, “They still won to me.”

To get an overview of the World Cup, it is a tournament in which 32 national soccer teams compete to be the world champion. Similar to the Olympics, it only takes place every four years. Also like the Olympics, the location is different every time. This year, the World Cup took place in Qatar. It starts with two teams facing off. The winner goes into the tournament; the other is eliminated. This process continues until there are only two teams remaining.

What made this year so important for fans is that many of the star players are rumored to be retiring–such as Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Guillermo Ochoa, and many more. These players are  idolized by this generation of soccer fans, who have followed them throughout their entire childhood and will no longer have the joy of watching them play again. Going into the World Cup, Brazil was the team said to have the highest chance at winning. However, they fell short of that goal. In fact, they  lost very badly to Germany.  Yet, Germany did not make it to the final playoff either. That coveted spot was taken by Argentina and France. Sophomore Esteban García, says, “I wanted Argentina to win the most; they are the team I had been rooting for.”

Argentina will now have a target on its back for the next four years, as the world awaits the 2026 World Cup.