Netflix Streaming Service: Awash With Cancellations

Alayna Robertson, Staff Writer

Nothing is better than kicking back on the couch to watch a favorite show after a long, stressful day at school. Nothing is worse than discovering that the much-anticipated series had gotten canceled. Welcome to the world of Netflix.

Netflix is one of the most popular streaming platforms in the world. The platform is widely known for its diverse movie/series options, Oscar-winning movies, and featuring various celebrities. It’s also known for canceling its new shows. 

There have been plenty of shows that Netflix canceled after the first seasons. Shows like The Society, I Am Not Okay With This, and Julie and the Phantoms have all been affected by the mass cancellations. It’s not like these shows didn’t have any success; in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Julie and the Phantoms hit No.1 upon its immediate release and remained there for several weeks, while The Society and I Am Not Okay With This did the same. 

Of course, Netflix consumers are not happy with its marketing strategy. Watching Netflix is a part of sophomore Jonell Bynum’s daily routine, and while she appreciates the titles that the platform has to offer, she admits she is not a huge fan of the cancellations. “I just don’t like it,” states Bynum. “I feel like they should keep the shows going because they started them for a reason.” She feels that it’s not fair to the people who pay their hard-earned money for the streaming service just to get their favorite show canceled. Sophomore Janessa Douglas feels that it’s also not fair to the cast and crew, who worked so hard on the shows, just to have their art go to waste. “They’re probably so angry! Imagine investing so much time and effort into a project you feel really passionate about and expecting more to come out of it, but you get told you can’t do more with what you have!” Douglas exclaimed. 

But, the criticism doesn’t stop there. The media has made a huge outburst because of the number of cancellations that have been occurring. They–along with fans of the shows–have been drafting petitions, hosting fundraisers, and even messaging the Netflix company to bring back their favorite shows. Many feel that Netflix should take consumer input into consideration to try and better the platform.