Music In The Air This Week At EHS

Kate Smith, Staff Writer

A week of concerts might sound pretty appealing to some.

As the year draws to a close, the music department at Elkhart High School is hosting just that. The bands and orchestras of the school are putting on their annual spring concerts Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this next week. Mr. David Brennan, a music teacher at the high school and the auditorium manager, is excited about the concerts. “The last couple of weeks are our busiest of the year!” he exclaimed.

First up, on Tuesday, May 24, is the Orchestra Senior Concert. Starting at 7:30 p.m. in the main campus auditorium, this concert will feature all of the high school’s various orchestra ensembles, including United Sound. To close out the music program, the full orchestra with winds and percussion will perform a fun piece with a Latin flare, titled “Conga del Fuego Nuevo” by Arturo Márquez. Special to this concert will be the senior solos, where a selection of senior orchestra members will be performing prepared solos. There will also be a senior recognition ceremony as part of the night’s events. Katie Huang, first chair violinist and one of the senior soloists, reflected on the upcoming concert, saying simply, “I’m looking forward to it!” 

Next on the agenda is the Freshman Division Year End Concert on Wednesday, May 25. This concert will start at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium of the Freshman Division building. They will perform a small selection of pieces to finish off the year.

Finally, on Thursday, May 26, the Symphonic band, Wind Ensemble, and percussion ensemble will be performing their Spring Concert. It will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the main campus auditorium and feature a range of music, including fast paced marches titled “Go” and “The Big Cage,” a high energy song titled “Turbo Scramjet,” and a medley of iconic Disney themes aptly titled “A Disney Spectacular.”

The Elkhart High School percussion ensemble was originally scheduled to perform a separate May Percussion Concert but will now be adding to the May 26 concert instead. They will perform an upbeat, Latin inspired piece titled”Sofapilla” and a playful tune titled “Jokers Wild.”

The music department urges all not to miss any of these unique performances by the amazing music students at Elkhart High School.