Still Needing That Morning Fix? 

Kami Bell, Staff Writer

Still needing that morning fix?

Caffeine: A student’s best friend! Or, is it? This year, Elkhart High School changed it’s start time from 7:25 a.m. to 8:35 a.m. What does this mean for students’ alertness? Is caffeine still as much of a necessity as it used to be? Some students may be more awake in class now because of the extra sleep they are able to get.  Others still need caffeine to get them through the day. Sophomore Sh’Kyra Bellamy explains her need for caffeine even with the later start time.  “I usually only drink one cup of coffee in the morning,” Bellamy says. “It helps wake me up in the morning.” Bellamy further explains how she has been able to reduce her morning caffeine intake with later start times. “Last year, I needed caffeinated energy drinks on top of the coffee just to get me through the day, because I felt so tired. I feel a bit more awake now because I sleep more.” 

Sophomore Bryanna Derda also mentions that she has been feeling much better in the mornings with later start times. She explains that it takes her a shorter time to adjust in the mornings, without much need for caffeine. “I used to drink coffee every morning,” Derda explains. “Recently, I’ve cut back on caffeine, and I haven’t really felt like I need it as much anymore!” Derda goes on to say that she only drinks coffee about once or twice a week. “It only takes me about five to ten minutes to adjust in class now, and I’ve been feeling really good about it!”