Music Is In Air At EHS

Kate Smith, Staff Writer

It’s the holiday season, and of course, with it comes holiday music!

Elkhart High School’s music department is getting into the festive spirit with a series of upcoming winter concerts. Multiple musical groups have rehearsed to put together programs full of traditional winter concert songs and popular holiday tunes. 

The first concert is taking place on Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2021. This Winter Celebration concert will feature the Madrigal, Select Chorale, and Chamber choirs, the Jazz Band and Wind Ensemble, and the Symphony Orchestra and United Sound ensemble. Some of the pieces will be performed by a combination of these groups, such as the final piece of the concert, The Holiday Season, which will be performed by the Wind Ensemble, Chamber Choir, and Symphony Orchestra. Maddie Simmons, a senior student in the Wind Ensemble, says, “I’m excited to play for the concert!” She adds, “It’s my first one as a percussionist, so it’ll be a lot of fun!” This concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Campus auditorium. Admission for the concert will be $3 per person, $10 per family, and free for senior citizens and preschoolers. Poinsettias will decorate the stage and can be bought after the concert is over.

The next concert coming up is the Freshman Division Winter Concert, which will happen on the following day, Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021. This concert will feature the Freshman Orchestras One and Two, Freshman Bands One and Two, and the Freshman Jazz Band. The program will begin at 7:00 p.m. in the Freshman Division’s auditorium. Admission for this concert will be $3 per adult, $5 per family, and $1 for students and senior citizens.

The last concert of the winter season for the high school’s musical groups is the Elkhart High School Winter Concert, starting at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 20, 2021. This concert will feature the Symphonic Band, Concert Orchestra, and Philharmonic Orchestra. Also taking place in the Main Campus auditorium, admission will be $3 per person, $10 for immediate family of 4 or more, and free for children under 5 and senior citizens.

Be sure to take these opportunities to listen to some festive holiday music performed by Elkhart High School’s talented musical students!