Staying Fit And Healthy Takes Work…But, It’s Worth It!

Nakori Cachiguango, Staff Writer

It’s never too late to start working out.

Sure, it’s hard work and takes time for actual results, but one must learn to persevere and look past all that to realize that it’s all worth it in the end. A lot of people have busy, busy lives. To not have “enough time” to work out is an excuse. From a young age, it is important to organize and schedule hours in the day in order to stay fit and healthy. A lot of students in Elkhart High School have learned to adapt, making time to “hit the gym” in order to meet their own personal goals. 

There are about four “well known” gyms locally in Elkhart. Some students have registered into the new Aquatic Health Center in downtown Elkhart. Planet Fitness is another gym that is found pretty familiar to the students at Elkhart High School. Others have taken the opportunity to take special Physical Education electives, such as Team Sports and Weight Training as courses during school hours.

According to the publications of Stack.com, a platform where its focus targets the lifestyle and performance of high school student athletes, expands into further detail about why or shouldn’t kids of a certain age workout. Observations from the site show that 12 or 13 years old is the most suitable age for working out for their well being and health. Those ages are prefered, because young ones often end up doing things they shouldn’t and getting hurt.

From viewpoint of students, where things can get difficult as they can begin to juggle all the different priorities in their lives in order to fulfill all their goals they have set in place, it’s interesting to find that person who knows what he or she wants and adjusts accordingly to the lifestyle and ways he or she wants to live. “Stop making excuses,” stresses Joan Montes, a junior. “There’s time for everything. If you have time to hang out with your friends and party, then you have time to go to the gym. I’m not lazy,” Montes continues. “I knew what days were good for me and what days weren’t,” says Montes from experience. “There’s only so much you can do during the school day, and there’s only so many students who actually have P.E. class.” 

Adding to that, Mr. Ryan Wilson, Elkhart High School gym teacher, chimes in. “So, if you don’t have P.E., then you don’t have time to exercise, so it’s really important to go ahead and join a gym so you can exercise outside of school and so you can maintain healthy individuals.” Most times, once students finish all their gym class requirements, because it’s not a class of their interest, they decide not to take any more, thus forgetting their physical well being as a priority. 

It’s important to remember that being physically active and healthy is what makes up how a person lives later years in life. Start early and hit the gym to keep that in mind.