Today’s Video Games: Decades In The Making

Jesus Regalado Santos, Staff Writer

Who would’ve known a few lines and dots on a screen would become such a big hit?

Many people think that Pong was the first video game created, but it was actually a game called Tennis for Two, which was released in 1958. It was played on an oscilloscope screen, which is used to graph electrical signals on graphs. The controllers were just a metal box that had a dial and a button. They were probably not the most comfortable controllers to use but at least they worked. 

Throughout the years, video games have become more enjoyable, especially they are played. A very popular way of playing video games is through virtual reality, but originally virtual reality was not a reality. The first VR headset was made by Ivan Sutherland, a Computer Science professor at Harvard University. Its purpose was to monitor a room from another room through a camera. The headset would detect when a person moved his or her head, and it would move the camera in the other room. This headset was very heavy and uncomfortable to wear. Thankfully, SEGA combined both video games and virtual reality when it released the VR-1 motion simulator in 1994 and made it comfortable to wear. The VR-1 was the first VR headset to be used with games.

With the advancement of technology, video games have improved and have become easier for people to create. There are many different types of video games for people to make and choose from. “If I designed a game, it would definitely have a crossover with another game, sort of like Marvel vs Capcom, ” exclaimed junior Darrien Garrett, an avid gamer.

Fellow gamer Garrett Redding, a sophomore, shares his ideas. “I like games that look really realistic. My game would have really good graphics and it would be in VR,” he explains.  Video games and virtual reality have advanced significantly since they were first made. “The new Forza Horizon game that was recently released almost looks real,” states Redding.

With the conceptual ideas of people like Garrett and Redding, the future of video games remains strong.