‘Tis the Season Of Love And Laughter! 

Kami Bell, Staff Writer

Christmas traditions hold a special place in the hearts of many each and every year. 

Christmas is often known as a holiday filled with traditions. Some families put up Christmas lights; others might bake Christmas cookies! Many students at Elkhart High School have special traditions that spread joy and love throughout the Christmas season. For sophomore Tairyn Null, traditions play a huge role in the family’s Christmas celebration. 

“I feel like traditions are a big part of what makes Christmas, and any holiday, extra special!” Null says excitedly. She enjoys spending the Christmas season making memories with her family and friends. She eagerly shares one of her favorite family traditions: the pickle gift! “The pickle gift is one of my favorite things to do with my family!” she exclaims. “It’s a German tradition. All the kids go on a hunt for a pickle ornament! Whoever finds it first gets a special gift–and usually we share it with the rest of the kids. It’s really fun!”

For others, the Christmas season is a time of change rather than tradition. Some like to make new memories with family and friends, rather than dwell on the past. For sophomore Bayleigh Tweedy, Christmas is about trying new things and new experiences, rather than tradition. 

“Having traditions isn’t all that important,” says Tweedy. “As long as you’re with family and friends and you’re having fun, that’s all that matters!” However, even though tradition isn’t the most important aspect of Christmas to Tweedy, she still has a few special traditions with her family. “My family and I always get together for a special dinner on Christmas. It’s fun to hang out with my family and spend time with them.”