The History Of Apples Stems Back Long Before Johnny Appleseed

Dorothy Moyer, Staff Writer

Could there be anything more American than apple pie? Maybe not. However, the history behind this fall fruit stems further back than this country’s earliest roots.

Apples were first founded around Central Asia about 50,000 B.C. and is still an enjoyable treat there. But for Hoosiers, it’s a different story. People in Indiana and the surrounding states are familiar with the folktale of the American legend Johnny Appleseed. Johnny Appleseed–or Johnny Chapman–was born on Sept. 26, 1774. When Chapman grew up, he decided to explore various parts of the country–Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois among them.  And, everywhere Johnny went, he carried a bag of appleseeds, planting them as he walked. Soon, the man who was known for planting these seeds became known by that name: Johnny Appleseed. Thanks to Chapman, people locally can enjoy such apple-based sweets, such as apple pies, apple crisp, apple cider and so much more. 

Sarah Fennell, a neighbor to the Freshman Division, has grown Golden Delicious apples for the past six years. With her harvest, she creates applesauce, apple chips, and homemade apple pie for her friends and family. “I love seeing the faces of my friends and family when they take their first bite of apple pie or an apple treat I put together,” Fennell shares, “because it makes me feel like even the smallest piece of pie makes someone’s day; it puts a smile on their face.” She expects to do just that in the coming weeks. Undoubtedly, this will make Fennell the apple of everyone’s eye this year. 

Along with Fennell, Sophomore Madelyn Homo, also has a love for apples. “Apples are the best snack in fall”, Homo continues her point, “One of my favorite things to do in fall is going apple picking with friends.” may seem like work to some, but to others, it’s a real treat.

Apples are everywhere. Though it may not seem to be true, everybody can see them clearly at apple orchards, in the grocery store, in school lunches, and even on board games, such as Apples to Apples. Whether realizing it or not, apples remain an integral part in the blustery season of fall.