Mean Girls Take The Stage On March 10-12

Sophia Ibarra, Staff Writer

High school is filled with drama–especially when girls are involved!

From the social cliques and school bullying to the damaging effects they can have on students, the EHS Performing Arts Department will bring all of this to the stage when it presents the Midwest premier of Mean Girls: The Musical  on March 10-12.

Casting was particularly difficult this year, notes director Mrs. Kristin Baker. With such a deep talent pool, it was impossible to give each the role he or she was trying out for. Despite this fact, Baker adds that one of the best aspects of the group she has right now is their willingness to take on whatever role is required of them. “Damian Leigh has to be my favorite character in Mean Girls,” shares senior Jack Coates, who was cast as Aaron Samuels. “He has a funny personality, to which he once said his mom called him baby girl. He is also super supportive of his friends, no matter what.” Senior Chyniah Woods–who is playing Regina George–also has a favorite: Janis Ian.  “I like that Janis is very blunt and doesn’t sugarcoat anything.”

Musicals can be so much more challenging to produce in high school than the fall play, Baker admits. Not only do students need to have the acting ability, but they must also be able to sing and dance. Just wait to hear Woods belt out World Burn! “The only reason I like [World Burn] is because of how good Chyniah sings it!” stresses fellow cast member Greta Boecher, a senior. Adding to that, Woods goes on express how powerful the song feels. “Since I’m playing Regina, it gives a dark feeling–like a revenge song–and is just dark and powerful.” Slipping into character, Woods adds, “It gives off villain vibes.”

Knowing what a coup this is for Elkhart High School to obtain the rights to Mean Girls, Baker hopes that the auditorium will be standing room only for each performance. She notes, however, that this will be a “high school version” of the musical. It is rated as PG-13, which means that it includes some material inappropriate for younger children. Parents should use their discretion when deciding who should attend. 

Performances are  at 7 p.m. on March 10-11, a Friday and Saturday. Then, a 2 p.m. matinee will conclude the performances on Sunday afternoon. General admission tickets are $15, while student/senior citizen ones are only $12.